When an animal has a burn, aloe is your best ally. Simply break off an aloe leaf and squeeze the gel-like substance onto the affected area. If you do not have an aloe plant, consider adding aloe gel or juice from your local health food store to your first-aid kit. If you buy aloe gel at your local pharmacy or supermarket, be sure to check the alcohol content, as some brands contain more alcohol than aloe.
* Topically, aloe gel is considered safe for dogs, though the leaves of an aloe plant can be toxic if ingested. Please use caution when treating dogs with aloe and learn more about choosing aloe for your pet.
First Aid Salve
1/2 cup fresh calendula flowers
1 1/2 cup fresh cleavers
1 cup fresh plantain
1/4 cup dried comfrey root
2-3 cups olive oil
1/4 cup beeswax
- Place all the ingredients, except the beeswax, in a large sauce pan.
- Heat ingredients, until just before boiling.
- Simmer at this temperature for 90 minutes, stirring and watching the mixture closely to ensure it does not boil and that herbs do not burn.
- Remove from heat and strain the herbs.
- Return the oil to the saucepan and add beeswax, stirring until melted.
- Pour into glass jars to store.